Thursday, February 18, 2010

Attitude Adjustment

Your atttitude should be the same as Christ Jesus. Philippians 2:5

I think that might be on my list of top 5 verses/quotes of all time. I came across this verse this week and it has repeated itself in my head throughout the day.

Wow, pretty powerful. How is Jesus' attitude? Jesus is patient, kind, resilient, loving, compassionate, and forgiving. He never backs down from what he believes, did not feel sorry for himself or wish for different circumstances. Jesus is able to find joy in situations. He is true to himself in every circumstance.

Of course, He is Courtney. Hello, He is GOD and perfect! We have all seen the WWJD bracelets. But for me, this verse has really spoken to me this week.

While I am a pretty happy person, I can find myself:
- Being impatient with a baby who is only trying to explain his frustration at biting down on his tender gums by squishing his food and screaming out when he cannot express it any other way
- Daydreaming while I'm loading or unloading the dishwasher that it sure would be nice to have a brain stimulating project to work on. And I am sure there are mothers who work who daydream at work about being able to stay home with their little ones.
- Having moments of "why me?" when it seems like Davis has been irritable for a week with teeth pain. I mean honestly, an irritable baby from teeth pain is nothing, and I am embarrassed to admit it. We have friends whose precious children have serious illnesses that I can only imagine.
- Thinking about the "if onlys" and wishing for different circumstances. Like, "if only" we had just a little more money so we can get the living room "done". Seriously, like that even matters.

The reality is I am human and everyone thinks these thoughts, no matter how blessed they are. And I absolutely KNOW that I and my family are blessed way more than we deserve. There is not a list long enough to name all the ways that we are blessed.

I am not perfect, and neither is my attitude. And I will fall short daily of my attitude being like Christ's 100% of the day. But, this verse gives me something to work towards and hope for. It feels like this his way of giving Courtney Green an attitude adjustment.

And it also gives me peace, that I have a God who is all of these things that I can rely on to be perfect, when I am not.

No comments:

Post a Comment