Saturday, November 27, 2010

Adelyn Camille

I loved the surprise of not knowing with Davis.  It was really indescribable to find out what our baby was and seconds later be able to see for ourselves.  But, I have to say, this knowing what gender your baby is before they get here is pretty awesome too! 

Here are my top 4 reasons why:
1.  I love using pronouns when referring to the baby.  She and her sound make it seem so much more real than it. 

2.  I love that you can actually buy things beforehand that are not yellow or green.  But also dangerous (yes, I have already bought several dresses :) ).  All I have to say is praise the Lord I did not know what we were having when I still worked at Neiman Marcus.  Seeing how fun it is to buy for your little one while you're actually carrying it, I know I would have been like this with a boy too. 

3.  I love that we are able to call her by name, Adelyn Camille.

Adelyn Camille is also the name that we picked out if Davis had been a girl.  When this time came along, we were both open to looking at other names, but both of us kept getting pulled back to this one.

Adelyn comes from a variant of my grandmother's name.  I adore my Nana.  When I was a little girl, I would tell her over and over that I would name my little girl after her one day.  Nana now has very advanced Parkinson's, but still reminds me of this story.  Of course, I wanted to honor both my grandmother and my word.  But unfortunately, my married last name just does not sound well with it.  I mean Emeline (pronounced Eh-ma-leen) Green sounds unbelievably country as you can't help but break out the twang with it rhyming and all.  So, when I was pregnant with Davis, I searched on the Internet variants of her name.  Coming across Adelyn, it was the perfect match.  It means noble and kind, was a version of Nana's name, and had the Lynn sound in it, which happens to be my sister's middle name.  So, Adelyn it was.

Camille is the name of my very best friend and means virginal, unblemished character.  Camille and I have been best friends since the second grade, over 16 years ago.  She is truly my other sister and regardless of where we live, I cannot live without her.  Camille is trustworthy, kind, loving, beautiful, diligent and hard-working.  All traits I pray Adelyn emulates.  I love that this little girl will carry on a piece of our very special friendship and remind me daily of what a blessing best friends are.

So, Miss Adelyn Camille, I hope you like your name!  I know it doesn't sound like your Daddy had much involvement.  But he does approve!

4.  I also love being able to pray for her by name.
Adelyn Camille, I pray that you become a woman described in Titus, self-controlled and pure, hard-working, kind and gentle, and a reflection of God's will and love as a wife.  I pray that you are confident to stand your ground, and gentle enough to be humble.  I pray that you always find your confidence and strength in the Lord and the heart He produces in you, not by your beauty, as the world will try to teach you it should be the opposite. 
I pray that you are resilient and positive like your great-grandmother, and loving and hard-working like your "aunt".  I pray for a strong little body that is full of good health and a quick smile like your brother's.  And yes, sweet Adelyn, I pray that you sleep as well and as joyfully as your brother too. 
Thank you Lord for the blessing of this sweet girl.  Please convict me daily on how to live so I can be a reflection for her of how a woman should be that is walking in Your footsteps.  AMEN

6 comments:

  1. LOVE LOVE LOVE her name!! Beautiful!! And I love the picture at the top of the blog - it is precious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE her name!!! Adelyn has been on my favorites list for a while now! And such a sweet story. We can't wait to meet her :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok - now i'm crying my eyes out! so sweet! what precious prayer Adelyn will be able to cherish forever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is going to be the sweetest little thing! Love your post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Got your Christmas card today! I had no idea about Adelyn - congratulations! I loved the picture and can't believe how big Davis is!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really can't tell you how excited I am to meet Adelyn, and how completely honored I am to share a name with her!!! Love, love, love you guys :-) ~Camille

    ReplyDelete