Friday, January 7, 2011

Thank you Lord for a case of the "No!"s!

We are in the stage of "No!!!"  While it is exciting for our little one to becoming better and better at what he needs, wants, and feels, it is also tiring and let's be honest, embarassing at times, when an emphatic "NO!" is yelled for the world to hear.

There are countless articles about how this is such a normal part of development and that is is in fact a stage that will end as quickly as it began.  But, nevertheless, Jared and I have worked tirelessly this week on how it's okay to say no, but there's a "nice" way to say it.  We let Davis overhear the different ways to say no nicely, we encourage Davis to show us how he can do it too, we praise him when he expresses himself in a nice way, and we've had our share of "talks" in our discipline spot when Davis hasn't shared his new learnings with our guests.

Yet, as I lost it and let out exhausted and embarassed tears when Davis was sharing his "No's" at an unpleasant, and let's call it rude, high pitch level, I was convicted about why exactly I was so upset.  Yes, it upsets me that my not quite two year old does not yet have a heart that is not easily tempted to think of himself over others feelings.  In my mind, I know that he is still young and his age is primarily consumed with selfishness, but I still hope and pray daily that he learns respectfulness at an early age.  But the Lord placed it on my heart that I was also upset about appearances. 

I admit that I found myself upset because my child had chosen to share this side of himself to an audience of more than just me.  My pride was taking over.  I desperately want Davis to grow to be a respectful, loving, hard-working person that loves the Lord.  But, today, I was thinking how it must look that I must be failing at my job of molding him to be that person.  And I realized, that if his behavior had radically changed to the opposite, would I accept the glory of such a well-behaved little being that responded to his mother's correction???  And the answer is, my pride would have desperately wanted to say yes. 

By the Lord's grace, Davis will grow to be a respectful, loving, hard-working man who loves the Lord deeply.  Yes, Jared and I will have had a hand in that, but it is only by way of the Holy Spirit working through us, not through our own power. 

This morning's passage in my devotional discussed giving thanks and praising God in all situations, both in pleasant and unpleasant times.  Wow, is He always so great in his timing and his lessons for us.

Lord God, thank you for this wonderful little man, for his precious little soul.  I praise you for your incredible wisdom to know that I would need to be reminded of my pride tendencies, and it would be best for me to see it through the outbursts of a toddler whose self-centered actions are not that different from my own.

"I will praise the LORD all my life; I will sing praise to my God as long as I live."  Psalm 146:2

1 comment: